Barclays Africa has been named "Best Fixed Income and Currencies House" in the 2014 Spire Awards. The award adds to a series of recent accolades underscoring Barclays Africa's position as the leading advisor on fixed income.
The Spire Awards, presented by the JSE, recognise individuals and teams with top talent and commitment to growing the fixed income and currency market in South Africa. The awards are decided based on trading volumes and votes cast by clients. Winners were announced on 29 October.
In addition to the top Fixed Income House award, Barclays Africa took first place for:
- Best Bond House;
- Best IRD House;
- Best FX House;
- Best Market Making Team: Government Bonds;
- Best Team: Credit Bonds;
- Best Sales Team: Bonds;
- Best Sales Team: IRD;
- Best Market Making Team: FX;
- Best Sales Team: FX;
- Best Research Team; and
- Best Structuring Team: Inflation/Credit/FX (joint first place)
"We are pleased to have reclaimed our position as the leading fixed income and currencies house in South Africa as voted for by clients," said Stephen van Coller, Chief Executive of the Corporate and Investment Banking division of Barclays Africa. "These awards are testament to the relevance of our client-centric approach and mark another significant milestone in our journey to become the "Go-To" bank in Africa."
In the past six months, Barclays Africa was also recognised as:
- "Best Investment Bank in Africa" in the Euromoney 2014 Awards for Excellence;
- "Top Overall Bank" in the Risk South African Rankings 2014; and
- "Best Domestic Cash Management House" in the Euromoney Cash Management Survey 2014.
Donna Oosthuyse, Director Capital Markets at the JSE said fixed-income instruments play an important role in the portfolios of most pension funds and this means that almost all South Africans who contribute to pension funds are exposed to this asset class.
"The awards not only allow the JSE to showcase the successes of some or our issuers, members and clients but to also to tell investors about the achievements of the strongest players in the industry", she said.
For more information please contact:
Marketing and Corporate Communications
Absa Corporate and Investment Banking
+27 11 895 6695
+27 79 695 9798
About Corporate and Investment Banking at Barclays Africa:
- "Top Overall Bank" - Risk South Africa Rankings 2014;
- "Best Domestic Cash Management House" - Euromoney Cash Management Survey 2014;
- "Best Investment Bank in Africa" - Euromoney 2014 Awards for Excellence;
- "Best M&A House in Africa" - Euromoney 2014 Awards for Excellence;
- "Best Securitisation & Structured Finance Deal in Africa" - The Banker Deals of the Year 2014;
- "Overall African Deal of the Year" - Project Finance Deals of the Year 2013;
- "Solar Deal of the Year" - World Finance 2013; and
- "African Renewable Energy Deal of the Year" - PFI Awards 2013.
To find out more visit http://www.cib.barclaysafrica.com
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange is based in South Africa where it has operated as a market place for the trading of financial products for 125 years. It connects buyers and sellers in equity, derivative and debt markets. The JSE is one of the top 20 exchanges in the world in terms of market capitalisation and is a member of the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE). The JSE offers a fully electronic, efficient, secure market with world class regulation, trading and clearing systems, settlement assurance and risk management. www.jse.co.za